Reflecting on ISTE 2013

My tech colleagues and I came back from an intense week of learning and sharing. I'm talking about the ISTE 2013 Conference. I haven't been able to attend these conferences every year, but rather when they are hosted in San Antonio, TX, which is just a 6 hour drive away from home. Perhaps that's the reason why I am more than amazed by everything I saw!

 

To me there are five main areas to explore at the conference. They are: The workshops and concurrent sessions, the playgrounds and posters, the keynotes, the exhibit hall, and the professional learning network. You can't miss anything!



From what I saw, my feeling of what are the hot topics today is:

  • Problem-based learning
  • Augmented reality
  • Gamification (huge!)
  • Mobile devices
  • QR Codes
  • e-Portfolios
  • Integrating the arts
  • Collaboration
  • Professional development
  • Google Apps
  • Professional learning network
  • Create vs. Consume

  • Flipping the classroom

What's new?
  • This is the first time I attend a conference that includes a Conference Welcome and Opening Ignite Session. This is going to be a must for all other conferences I attend. It really set the tone and provided an overview of what to expect at the conference.
  • ISTE13 introduced an Interactive app. This is great! I didn't need to carry the heavy program book (which has 200 pages). Besides, there was a game to play, a section for various social networking options, a QR code scanner, a message board for attendees, my planner, conference updates, and important information.
  • Attendees got to witness the unveiling of the new ISTE logo! That was exciting! This is what the new logo looks like.
Moby and me.
The opportunity to develop or strengthen your PLN is invaluable! In fact, I increased my Twitter contacts with awesome people. I have tons of notes to complete and organize yet, but am really happy I was able to attend and see first hand what technology in education is all about!

If you have an extra hour or so, I invite you to see the outstanding and inspiring closing keynote by Adam Bellow: "You're invited to change the world."

Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovering Add-ons & Scripts

Voice Feedback in Google Docs

Hello World!